Old Houses on Main Street

 Properties on the southern side of Main Street, Great Bowden form the northern boundary of the study area for Bowden Ridge Research. One of our members has searched the archives and extracted the following information about the history of this area up to about 1915.  We hope this will be of interest generally but particularly to current residents of the road and also to anyone researching family history in Great Bowden.


Main Street properties - south side
In 1904 all the properties along the south side of Main Street from the 'old bakehouse' to the junction with Burnmill Road were put up for sale. These properties along with various pieces of land comprised the estate of John Chater and had been acquired  by the Chater family over the previous one hundred years. Much of the information about these properties was found in the deeds of the Gillilan Main Trust  deposited in the Record Office for Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland under the reference DE569.

Information on the remaining properties to the west of the railway on the south side of Main Street have also been included.

Site of 41 Main Street
This is a detached brick/ slated dwelling formed when two cottages were combined.

1845:    The earliest map including this site (LRO-QS73/114) was prepared for the Midland Railway Company when the extension to Hitchin was being planned. A building was shown on the site, but it is not known if this was a dwelling or a barn.

1880:     Local Board map shows two cottages on this site which were owned by the Midland Railway Company. (LRO-DE6688/1)

1892:    Street numbers were allocated the two cottages being 18 and 19. Later the street was renumbered and the cottages became 41 and 43. I


Site of 45 Main Street  originally number 20 (speculative history)
There are very few documents which refer directly to this property and the following history has been based largely on parish documents and documents relating to adjoining sites. The building is not listed , but was noted as a building of interest when the scheduling occurred. At that time the building was thatched. It is a double fronted property with the front door offset to one side suggesting there were originally two cottages here. Renovations in recent years produced evidence of two staircases reinforcing the idea of two cottages.


1608;    This is the first indirect reference to the site. At this time the Market Harborough Town Estate owned two farms in Great Bowden. One of these was on the south side of the highway to Leicester, presumably Main Street and is believed to have been to the west of 45 Main St. The churchwardens accounts published in Canon Stocks Market Harborough Parish Records Volume II p42 shows that the property to the east of the farm was held by Christopher Kerby.

1631:    Christopher Kerby died and in his will (LRO-PR/T/1631/276) left his house and a quarter yardland in the open fields to his son Edward (1591-1658). Edward died without leaving a will.

1647:    The tenant of the Town Estate farm in 1608 was Christopher Waters, but he also held a close to the rear known as Water's Close. In 1647 this was left by Augustine Fish to his son Thomas. (TNA-PROB11/201/650 )

1667:     Thomas Fish died and left Water's Close, which he said was to the west of the property of George Brown and to the east of Inlehearne's, to his daughter Dorcas. (LRO-PR/T/1667/159)

1670:    The Heath tax returns show George Brown with 2 hearths and Christopher Kerby (1620-1673)     with 1 hearth) occupying adjoining premises. It is impossible to know if there was just one house subdivided or two separate houses.

1698:     Dorcas Fish died and in her will left Water's Close to her nephew James Groocock. (LRO-PR/T/1699/134)

1719:    In his will Thomas Marston  left his house and 3 ½ acres in two closes, which he had purchased from George Brown and James Groocock, to his nephew John Branston.(LRO-PR/T/1720/13)

1776:    In the enclosure award a close of 2 roods, where a house had stood, was exchanged by the     feoffees of the Market Harborough Town Estate with John Branston for a plot in the fields. John Branston owned the property adjoining the close. In the award John Branston Senior was     awarded an allotment of 6 acres 1 rood 19 perches on Leicester Lane and his son, also called John, a close of 21 acres adjoining that of his father. (LRO-DE2132/50)

1780:     John Branston Senior paid Land Tax of 9/10 on his Leicester Lane plot., whilst his son paid Land Tax on the other allotment with his house and adjoining closes.

1783:     John Branston Senior died in December 1783 aged 83, but no will has been found. In the same     year the manor court records show that John Branston Junior sold his enclosure allotment of 21 acres to Tobias Green, but he kept the house with the adjoining closes. (LRO-MF499)

1784:    In the Land Tax John Branston Junior (born 1765 and the grandson of John who died in 1783)     paid 9/10 (on the Leicester lane plot) and John Branston Senior (born 1738) 8/- on the remaining property.

1786:     A total Land Tax of 17/9 was paid by John Branston.

1797:    The amount of Land Tax paid by John Branston fell to 8/- and by 1802 had reduced to 7/2.

1800:     First entry in the Land Tax returns for William Branston (born 1773 the son of John born 1738)     when he paid 9/9, presumably on the Leicester Lane close. William was born in 1773, the son of John born 1738.

1824:     William Branston paid 16/11, presumably the Leicester Lane allotment and the house and     adjoining closes. In 1828 a separate 1/3 was added to the Land Tax.

1830:    William Branston was shown as  holding a house and land in the poll list for Great Bowden.

1832:    In the final Land Tax available William Branston was still paying 16/11, and a further 1/3 on another property.

1837:    William Branston died and in his will (LRO-PR/T/1837/22) left his house, a close of 7 acres and a close of 4 acres both in his occupation and 4 cottages in the tenure of William Gilbert, Thomas Sharp, widow     Tilley and widow Nichols to his wife Ann for life and then to be sold for the benefit of his children.

1841:    Ann Branston died and the estate was advertised for sale in the Leicester Journal. The property said to comprise a dwelling in the west end of Great Bowden on the high road to Leicester  with barn, feeding sheds, piggeries and yard with a rich sweard of land in front of the premises containing 1 acre lately occupied by William Branston. The house now rented by William Dunmore and the land by Robert Sheppard.

Also all the capital stone dwelling (now in two tenements) occupied by Samuel Mays and Mrs Elizabeth Clarke with garden ground and small buildings with carriage entrance from the town street. Adjoining are two cottages occupied by Thomas Sharp and Joseph Lucas. South of the dwelling is a rich pasture partly planted with an orchard containing 4 acres 1 rood 10 perches occupied by Thomas Timson. Also all that rich feeding ground on the highway to Leicester containing 6 acres 1 rood 19 perches called Top Close lately occupied by William Branston and now Thomas Timson. The cottages appear to include 45 Main Street, at this time divided into two dwellings.

1843:     In the rate return for this year William Dexter appears to have taken over some of the property advertised for sale under the estate of William Branston. He is listed as owning and occupying a close of 4 acres 10 perches and two cottages in the occupation of Sam Mayes and Thomas Sharp. (LRO-39'30'2)

1851: The census return suggests the four cottages were occupied by Richard Sharp, Ann Mayes, Ann Eagle and Samuel Burdett. It is not known who owned the properties at this time.

1880:    The Local Board map showed the property was then owned by Frank Underwood. This is the first document which definitely relates to this property. (LRO-DE6688/1)

1871:     The census return seems to show 45 now occupied by John Tilley a grazier.

1881:    The census return shows this property occupied by Abe Vendy, a farmer.    

1882:     The rate return for Great Bowden lists the house occupied by Abe Vendy as owned by Frank Underwood. (LRO- DE1387/585/1)    

1891:    In the census David Goodrum occupied the property.

1892:    Street numbers allocated. This property was number 20, although the street was later renumbered and this became 45.

1893:     Frank Underwood of Cranoe left a house with farm buildings and 13 acres of land in Great Bowden in the occupation of Elizabeth Jane Goodrum (number 20) and the cottage in the occupation of Isaac Sumpter (number 21) to his wife Matilda.

1917:    Matilda sold to Rev George Scott of Cranoe all that messuage with farm buildings, on part of which was formerly the cottage before mentioned with yard, large garden and orchard adjoining situated on the south side of Main Street and a close of pasture of 3a 2r 21p at the rear of the house (number 104 on the 1904 OS map) formerly occupied by EJ Goodrum and Isaac Sumpter and for many years now in the occupation of the purchaser.


Site of 49 Main Street. Former Market Harborough Town Estate farm. (location speculative)
In recent years a new house has been created on this site. Previously this area was part of the outbuildings of 45.

1570:     A feoffment of the Market Harborough Town Estate lands shows the tenant at that time was Richard Waters.

1608:     The tenant was now Christopher Waters. In Market Harbrough Parish Records Vol II, page 42 the house is described as a tenement of 4 bays and a collis, a barn of 6 bays and a collis and a kiln and malt floor of 3 bays. There was also an orchard, a garden and a grass yard.

1614:     Christopher Waters died and although no will has been found there is a surviving inventory of his goods, listing household goods, farm equipment and livestock.

1616:     Jane Waters and her son Richard took out a new lease on the property at £7 per year. (Market Harborough Parish Records Vol II p260)

1637:     Lease to Augustine Harper, Christopher Robey, Robert Wilshire and John Harper for 14 years     at an annual rent of £12. (Market Harborough Parish Records Vol II page 271)

1725:     William Gilbert was the tenant of the farm. (LRO-DE435/9)

1735:     Edward Saddington took over the tenancy. (LRO-DE435/9)

1770:     The farmhouse was now in ruins and it was decided to pull it down. An earth wall was erected round the homestead of the ruinous house. Some of the stone from the house was used for a foundation for the wall. (LRO-DE435/7)

1776:     In the enclosure award the site of the farm, now a close called Saddington's Close containing 2     roods 21 perches, was exchanged by the feoffees of the Market Harborough Town Estate with John Branston for an allotment in the fields. It remained part of 45 Main Street. (LRO-DE2132/50)

Site of 55a Main Street
The whole of this history is based on the reference in Henry Shuttleworth's will to a mortgage of a piece of land with an apple tree. Documentation of the surrounding properties suggests that there must have been a house here, but no specific deeds have been found.

1608:     To the west of the farm belonging to the Market Harborough Town Estate was the property of     widow Hearne. (Market Harborough Parish Records Vol 2 p 42)7)

1667:     In the will of Thomas Fish, Inleherne was said to occupy the property to the west of Water's     Close (see 45 Main St). (LRO-PR/T/1667/159)

1721:    In his will Edward Inleherne left an old cottage with a homestead and ½  a quartern of land in the occupation of John Baron to his youngest son Edward. (LRO-PR/T/1721/21)

1776:    The Town Estate records refer to Edward Inleherne owning the house to the west of the Town Estate farm. (LRO-D435/7)

1783:     Edward Inleherne died aged 73.

1800:    Henry Shuttleworth in his will left a small piece of land with an apple tree containing ½ a rood (with the town street north and the orchard of John Branston south and east) to his son Henry.     He said he acquired this from a mortgage to Edward Inleherne deceased. There is no reference to a house on the site at this time.

1836:     Valuation of the estate of Henry Shuttleworth (born c1755) who died in 1835 included a piece of land called Apple Tree. (LRO-DG47/268)

1880:    Part of the site of 55 on the Local Board map and owned by John Wolstan Chater. (LRO-DE6688/1)

1885:    The first large sale OS map shows a building on the site.

1930s:  Local people remember this as a barn used for meetings by scouts and Toc H

1960:    Conversion of an old barn into a dwelling.
                
55 Main Street, formerly 22 and 23 Main Street. The 'old bakehouse'
This is a Grade II listed building. It is a L plan cottage part of stone with an overhanging upper storey and a thatched roof with the recessed part of brick

1780:    Henry Shuttleworth paid Land Tax of £1 12s 6d on property occupied by Joseph French and     was still the owner with the same tenant in 1799

1800:     In his will Henry Shuttleworth left a house and three closes containing 20 acres     in the     occupation of Joseph French to his trustees.

1823:    The estates of Henry Shuttleworth (died 1800) were partitioned and the house and land which had been in the occupation of Joseph French was given to the three daughters of  Henry- Mary, Sarah and Elizabeth.  (NRO- C(S)4/3)

1836:    A valuation of the estate of Henry Shuttleworth deceased (died 1835) appears to include this property.

1840:     A house with an orchard in Great Bowden and two adjoining closes containing 21 acres all in the occupation of John Wimant were advertised for sale in the Leicester Journal of January 1840. A sale notice in Northampton Record Office (ref FS40/5) describes the property as a     house and garden and orchard containing 3r 10p and 3 closes- Stock Lane 3r 13p, Stock Close 4a 2r 39p and Hill Close 14a 1r 11p. All sold under the bankruptcy of Henry Shuttleworth (died 1840) and purchased by John Chater

1843:    Rate return shows the property was now owned by John Chater and occupied by Francis Bland and consisted of a house and home close of 3 roods 10 perches. Francis Bland continued to     occupy the house until at least 1861. (LRO-39'30/2)

1880:     Local Board map shows the property owned by John Wolstan Chater. (LRO-DE6688/1)

1882:    Rate return shows the property still owned by John Chater, but now occupied by William Butler, a baker.

1892:    Street numbers allocated, and this shows the property was now divided into two dwellings. 22 & 23. At this time William Butler lived at 22 and Rev Cumming at 23.

1904:     For sale as part of the Chater estate, when 22 was occupied by William Butler and 23 by Mr Gamble.

1915:    William Butler was still there.

Site of 57 Main Street
A brick/ slated double fronted house. This property was probably built in the early twentieth century on land which was previously part of the grounds of 55 Main Street.

Site of 59 Main Street
This property was built in the twentieth century on part of the close through which Stockwell Lane ran.

Site of the Lodge Cottages to Upper House,  69 & 71 Main Street (formerly 30 and 31)
Today the site is occupied by two cottages built as gatehouses for Upper House.

1800:     Joseph French sold to William Cooper for £90 a house and homestead, subject to there being no further issue of Rev John Farrer then of Weymouth. William obtained £70 by way of a     mortgage from Thomas Copper, a grocer in Market Harborough, to complete the purchase.     (LRO-    DE569)

1801:    Assignment of the mortgage from Thomas Cooper to Thomas Scott. The property was occupied by William Cooper and John Jesson the elder. LRO-DE569)

1804:     Thomas Scott died and the mortgage passed to his widow Elizabeth. LRO-DE569)

1838:     The trustees of William Cooper sold to John Chater that little house formerly in the occupation     of John Jesson the elder with the adjoining homestead of 1 acre 23 perches for many years in the occupation of William Cooper. The contingency re further issue of Rev John Farrer was to be merged with the freehold. (LRO-DE569)

1885:    The house had been demolished and was replaced by two lodges for the entrance to Upper House.

73 Main Street
This house was built in the second half of the twentieth century on land previously part of the grounds of Upper House.


Upper House, 75 Main Street, formerly 32 Main Street
The original site of the premises in 1674 included the sites of the present 75,77, 79 and 81.

1674:     In his will Richard Kestian left his estate, which comprised the house on this site which he     occupied, another house and 3 ½ yardlands in the open fields, to his daughter Elizabeth and her     husband Thomas Andrews. If they had no children the estate was to pass to his granddaughter Hannah Moore. (LRO-PR/T/1674/116)

1676:    Hannah Moore married Samuel Musson

1711:     Thomas Andrews died and the estate passed to Hannah and her family.

1737:    Hannah and Samuel only had daughters and the estate then passed to David Some and his wife     Elizabeth, Christopher Smalley and his wife Hannah, William Roberts and  his wife Ann.  (LRO-DE569). They then sold the estate to Isaac Carter. The property included a house with a homestead of 2 acres in the occupation of David Some and another house with a homestead of 1 acre in the occupation of Richard Smith. LRO-DE569)
 
1770:    The estate was sold to George Pepper whose wife was one of the descendants of Sam Musson and Hannah. The house had been occupied by Len Russell until his death in 1754 and was then taken over by John Russell.  (LRO-DE569)

1782:    George Pepper was bankrupt and the estate was sold again. The new owner was Edward     Dawson. (LRO-DE569)

1803:    Edward Dawson Senior died and the estate passed to his son also called Edward. (LRO-DE569)

1803:    Edward Dawson sold the house and two homesteads to Edward Sedgely (LRO-DE569)

1807:    Edward Sedgely sold a house and two homesteads adjoining, which had been occupied by Len Russell, then John Russell and a close of 12 acres 33 perches to Jonathan Chater. (LRO-DE569)

1834:    Inherited by John Chater.

1852:    Plan drawn up for the Midland Railway Company shows the footprint of Upper House. LRO-    QS73/114)

1871:    Inherited by Ann Chater, widow of John with reversion to John Wolstan Chater. (LRO-DE569)

1904:    Estate of John Wolstan Chater put up for sale.

1906:    Conveyance of Upper House to WE Stokes. (LRO-DE3009/4)

The Round House
This a grade II listed building which has been converted into a dwelling.  The scheduling suggests it was built in the early nineteenth century and may have been used for industrial purposes. It was part of the Upper House property which belonged to John Chater. A rate return for 1843 refers to a warehouse amongst the property belonging to John Chater. (LRO-39'30/2)


Site of  77-81 Main Street
In the last forty years this site has been redeveloped with three new dwellings. It was formerly part of the grounds of Upper House.

1674:    This was part of the Kestin property and the site was occupied by a house and homestead.

1737:     House and homestead occupied by Richard Smith

1770:     The house and homestead now in the tenure of John Russell.

1803:     House no longer mentioned. (LRO-DE569)

Site of  83 Main Street
A new house was built on this site in the late twentieth century.

1713:    Edward Neale recorded as occupying ground to the east of 85 Main Street (LRO-    DE569)

1724:     Edward Neale died.

  1840:     A sketch map in the deeds of 87 Main Street show John Wimant occupying this site which now had a building on it. By now he was 80 years old. The position of his name in the Land Tax returns suggest he occupied this house from the 1780s. (LRO-DE569)

1880:    On the Local Board map this house was gone and the site was part of the grounds of Upper House. (LRO- DE6688/1)

Site of 85 Main Street.  Yew Tree Cottage.
This is a rendered cottage which is set at an angle to the road.

1708: Mortgage for John Kingerly    (LRO-DE569)

1713: Lease from John Kingerly, labourer, to William Pywell of a tenement of 2 bays in Great Bowden in the tenure of John Kingerly with Edward Neale east and the town street west.    (LRO-DE569)

1725: William Pywell, labourer, left his house to his wife and to revert to his nephew William Pywell (born 1707) his brother Robert's second son.  (LRO-PR/T/1725/12)

1770: William Pywell, weaver, sold to Thomas Mansfield his dwelling in Great Bowden which was late in the occupation of William Pywell with the town street on the west side.  (LRO-DE569)

1820: Thomas Mansfield deceased left his estate to his son Thomas. (LRO-DE569)

1844: Thomas Mansfield obtained a mortgage from John Meadows for £50 on a messuage and buildings in the yard which was occupied by Thomas Mansfield and another messuage, adjoining the first which was occupied by Thomas Mansfield the father of Thomas Mansfield then William Cort then Thomas Mansfield and then William Cort.  (LRO-DE569)

1855: Will of Thomas Mansfield, pig jobber. He left all his estate to his daughter Lucy. (LRO-DE569)

1855: Lucy Mansfield sold to John Chater all that messuage with garden, cow house, piggeries and yard which was in the occupation of Thomas Mansfield, now Jane Mansfield, and all the other cottage adjoining in the occupation of George Marshall. Also pay a fine to the Lord of the Manor for a strip of land. (LRO-DE569)

1871: Will of John Chater. Includes 2 cottages purchased from Thomas Mansfield. (LRO-DE569)

1904: Put up for sale as part of the estate of John Wolstan Chater.

1906: Sale completed to WE Stokes. (LRO-DE3009/4)

85a Main Street, Top Yard Barn
This dwelling was created in the late twentieth century from a barn at Top Yard farm.

Site of  87 Main Street. Top Yard farm

1617:    Will of Miles Smith the elder. He left small quantities of land to his three younger sons Nicholas, Richard and Thomas. His eldest son, Miles, seems to have been provided for earlier, perhaps at the time of his marriage.    

1621:    Transfer of mortgage of £430 from George Buswell to William Halford of Welham of property     late in the tenure of Miles Smith the elder, Miles Smith the younger and George Buswell.
    Property comprised
    -    a house late in the tenure of Miles Smith the elder, Miles Smith the younger and George Buswell
    -    3 1/2 yardlands
    -    2 closes of land one of which was purchased by Miles Smith the elder from Richard Wakelin between the common fields on the east and the lands of Miles Smith the elder on the west.
    ⁃    a mylne in the tenure of Miles Smith the elder, Miles Smith the younger and George Buswell. (DRO-D3155/WH840)
    ⁃    
1641: Will of Miles Smith of Great Bowden, yeoman. He died leaving his property to his wife for her life, except for ½ yardland which was to go to mother Wright, and then to revert to John Wells     the son of Thomas and Grace Wells. (LRO-PR/T/1641/71)

1641:    Marriage settlement of John Sprigg of Great Bowden and Ann Wright of Lubenham.
    Property -3 ½ yardlands
    ⁃    a house in the tenure of Thomas Sprigg
    ⁃    a close called Little Close purchased from Wakelin
    ⁃    a windmill
    The description is exactly the same as that in the 1621 mortgage. (LRO-10D38/16)

1690:    Will of John Sprigg of Great Bowden, gentleman, deceased. He left his property to John Sprigg, grandson of his brother Edward who lived in Shearsby. He also left his nephew Jeremiah, son of his late brother Richard, £500, but a conveyance also dated 1690 showed the property was transferred from Jeremiah to Edward.
    The property in Great Bowden comprised:-
    ⁃    a house which had been occupied by John Sprigg
    ⁃    a home close of 4 acres
    ⁃    a cottage in the occupation of Thomas Smith
    ⁃    3 yardlands
    ⁃    a windmill in the occupation of Joseph Barwell (TNA-PROB11/402/262)

                        …...................
1728:    John Sprigg of Shearsby died without issue and left his property in Great Bowden (messuage, tenement, windmill lands and premises) to his brother in law Thomas Turville of Shearsby,  (LRO-PR/T/1728/fiche37)

1766: Thomas Turville died without issue and left his estate to his brother George Turville of Southwark, London.
    The property in Great Bowden comprised
    ⁃    a house
    ⁃    3 yardlands all in the tenure of Edward Russell (LRO DE569)    
    ⁃    
1776:    George Turville allocated 88 acres of land under the Great Bowden enclosure award.  (LRO-DE2132/50)

1786:    George Turville died.

1795:    Trustees of George Turville sold some of his property to Tobias Green.
    The property comprised
    ⁃    a close called the Great Close of 12acres 2 roods 32 perches
    ⁃    a close called East Close of 9acres 2 roods 13 perches
    ⁃    a house in the occupation of Edward Russell
    ⁃    a close called the Home Close of 4 acres
    -    a close called Little Close of 2acres 2roods 27 perches.(LRO -DE569)

1825;    Tobias Green died. In his will he left his property in Great Bowden to his wife for life and to revert to his son Tobias. The house in Great Bowden was in the occupation of Richard Buzzard.  (LRO-PR/T/1825/

1840:    Tobias Green sold to John Chater a house and 65 acres of land.
    The house was in a dilapidated state and was uninhabited, but also included a barn bought from John Sprigg, outbuildings, yard and orchard. After Edward Russell the house was occupied by Jonathan Chater and then John Chater. (LRO- E569)
    
1871:     There was no mention of this house in the will of John Chater .

1881:     Mortgage raised by Chater for £2500 on
    -    2 cottages built on the site where formerly there was a farmhouse and barn late in the     occupation of John Chater and John Wolstan Chater.
    ⁃    3 closes called the Great Close, the East Close and the Homestead in the occupation of John Chater and now John Wolstan Chater
    ⁃    a close in the Gallow field of 5 acres
    ⁃    Knight's Close and Meadow
    ⁃    (LRO-DE569)
    ⁃        
 1904:    Included in the sale notice for Chater Estate.

Close to the rear of Main Street

1621: The first mention of this close in the mortgage transfer from George Buswell to William Halford, when it was described as being purchased by Miles Smith from Richard Wakelin. Richard Wakelin's name appears in a terrier of lands dating from around 1590. His burial was recorded in the Market Harborough parish records in 1607.

1641:    The marriage settlement between John Sprigg and Ann Wright of Lubenham included  a close called Little Close purchased from Wakelin

1795:    In a conveyance it was described as an ancient close called the Homestead or Home Close containing 4 acres.

Some of this close is still undeveloped and aerial photographs show a number of earthworks in this field.

Site of 89 Main Street
  A grade II listed building built of stone and thought to date from the seventeenth century.

1621:     lands of Miles Smith the elder  (DRO- D3155/WH840)

1818:    Edward Sedgley owned this property, which he occupied with his son in law Daniel French,     when he died. In his will Edward directed that his property should be sold for the benefit of all his children. Daniel bought the house and continued to live there. It was described as a house with an orchard close adjoining. (LRO-PR/T/1818/155)

1828:    Daniel French died and left his house to his wife Ruth who sold to her two daughters Elizabeth and Mary in 1831. Elizabeth died in 1843 and left her share in the house to her sister Mary, who was by now married to Joseph Barwell. At this time the house was occupied by Joseph French     the younger, son of Daniel.(LRO-DE569)

1850:    Mary Barwell left her half share of the house garden and orchard and close and the other half which she had inherited from her late sister Elizabeth French to her husband Joseph Barwell.     The house was then occupied by Edward Bolton, a gardener.

1857: Joseph Barwell sold to TW Douglass. The house was now used as two dwellings. (LRO-DE569)

1858: T.W. Douglass sold to John Chater. ( LRO-DE569)

1904: This property put up for sale as part of the Chater estate. (LRO-DE569)

1906: The sale completed and bought by WE Stokes.    (LRO-DE3009/4)

Abbreviations
DRO    Derbyshire Record Office
LRO     Record Office for Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland
NRO     Northampton Record Office

TNA    The National Archives

 

Researched by PA 2016