Windmills within Bowden Ridge Research area

Harborough Mill, Leicester Road OS SP726 884
The land occupied by this mill was previously part of Round Hill Close. It was purchased in July 1801 by Edward Dawson from the trustees of Edward Dawson the elder.

1806: Edward Dawson sold a close containing 2a 1r 20p with a windmill recently erected there to William Sheppard, a mealman, from Market Harborough. The close had been occupied by John Mutton, but was now occupied by William Sheppard.
1818: A reservation of a right of way to Round Hill Meadow along the south east boundary of Round Hill Close and Sheppard's Close and the north east boundary of of the land of John Fox and the poor of Great Bowden was made. 
1819: William Sheppard died and left the windmill and close to his son John. The windmill was then leased to Josiah Hubbard for three years.
1820: John Sheppard died and left all his property including the windmill to his wife Hannah.
1825: Hannah sold the close and the windmill, which was still occupied by Josiah Hubbard, to Lewis Saunt.
1835: The first OS map of the area named this mill as Harborough Mill.
No further mention of the windmill has been found.
Sources
Saunt family papers in the Record Office for Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland. ref DE5690/7 &19

Also
Historic Environment Record Ref:MLE1952. Grid reference given as SP724883
A windmill is shown on various C19th maps (King 1806, OS 2" drawing 1814, Greenwood 1826, OS 1st ed 1"). A mill mound, flat-topped and 0.5m high stands here. LiDAR analysis in 2015 suggested that the mill had used a tail pole.
Sources
Leicestershire & Rutland Historic Environment Record Ref: MLE1952 (Harborough Mill, Leicester Road) http://www.leicestershire.gov.uk/leisure-and-community/history-and-heritage/historic-environment-record
Unpublished document: Slater, James. 2015. Geophysical survey report, Market Harborough, Leicestershire.
Unpublished document: Hunt, Leon. 2015. An archaeological desk-based assessment for land at Leicester Road, Market Harborough, Leicestershire.
Unpublished document: Beamish, M. 2015. An archaeological earthwork survey by LiDAR study for land off Leicester Road, Market Harborough, Leicestershire

Mill Close OS SP7310 8875
1776: In the enclosure award there were two allotments here. The first was of 1r2p and was allocated to the miller William Bates. A further 2a27p was allocated to George Bates in compensation for cottage commons.


1820: A close of 2a2r was sold to Thomas Wimant. The site of the mill was now included with the close. When he died in 1842 he left all his lands to his son William.

1844: Thomas Barfoot Saunt bought the close called Mill Close containing 2a2r3p. There is no mention of the windmill.

Sources
Saunt family papers in the Record Office for Leicester, 
Leicestershire and Rutland. ref DE5690/10

Also
HER Ref: MLE1949, grid reference given as SP732887 
Bent notes a windmill at SP732887 on Prior (1775). The road leading to the site is called Burnmill Road, which is probably an indication of the fate of the site.
Sources
Leicestershire & Rutland Historic Environment Record Ref: MLE1949 (Windmill site south of Great Bowden Hall) http://www.leicestershire.gov.uk/leisure-and-community/history-and-heritage/historic-environment-record

John Fish's Mill OS SP7489
No exact location for this mill can be ascertained from the documents, but it is thought to have been somewhere near the east end of the Bowden ridge. It is first referred to in the will of John Fish who died in 1622. In this will he refers to the 'mylne post' which should go to his eldest son Augustine. Presumably he had already settled the mill and other lands on Augustine, perhaps at the time of his marriage.

Augustine died in 1647, but again no mention is made of the mill, as his eldest son, John, had already inherited most of his property. John died in 1670.

In 1691 another John Fish, the son of John who died in 1670, sold a windmill and the land it stood on in the south field of Great Bowden and known as the nether mill to Joshua Darlow, who was already the tenant. The sale also included the soil to the west of the mill as far as the hollow and the ground to the north of the mill as far as John Fish's ground and the ground to the east side to the highway and on the south side as far as John Fish's ground which amounted to 1 rood.
No later reference to this mill has been found from documentary sources.
Sources
1622 will of John Fish ref-PR/T/1622/102 (Record Office for Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland)
1647 will of Augustine Fish ref-PROB11/201/650 (The National Archives)
1691 conveyance from John Fish to Joshua Darlow of the nether mill in Great Bowden ref-27D35/2
(Record Office for Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland.


Also
HER Ref: MLE1956 grid reference given as OS SP741882
A windmill in the south field of Great Bowden is mentioned in 1543, this may be the one on Prior (1779) but not on any subsequent maps. A windmill in 1623 that was still there in 1690 may be this mill.
Sources
Leicestershire & Rutland Historic Environment Record Ref:MLE1956 (Windmill site north of White Lodge, Great Bowden) http://www.leicestershire.gov.uk/leisure-and-community/history-and-heritage/historic-environment-record