Back to Excavation Index

Buckminster Close, 2006, 2009


Buckminster Close
is a paddock of approximately 2 acres, close to Nether Green and about 200 metres from the River Welland. For its history See Free Leaflets.

Early spring 2006 - Magnetometer survey. Results showed a double oval feature extending just beyond present boundaries, a large rectangle with a high reading in the centre of the paddock and many potential
 pits, ditches, or house platforms.

1st Excavation May 2006.  Five test pits dug south of the rectangular feature.  Sherds ranged from a few Roman to a large assemblage of Medieval pottery, mostly Lyveden Stanion oolitic limestone ware from 1200-1400, including the cooking pot on the right, later reassembled.
 
2nd Excavation June 2006.  Concentrated on the linear feature in the south-east of paddock. A few sherds of Roman, one possibly late Anglo-Saxon but mostly Medieval pottery extracted. At a depth of 85 cm to 140 cm there was a sticky conglomerate of pottery, brick, ash and charcoal. Water table at 140 cm deep. Metal detecting sweep revealed much shrapnel from the WWII bomb explosion (west end)  and also a medieval horseshoe in good condition.

3rd Excavation September 2006. Extended the pits from the 1st excavation.  Large stones excavated but only randomly deposited. Finds as before. Black rectangle excavated. Burnt, blackened remains of possible house fire, including all modern pottery sherds. Flatness and regular shape of the deposit suggested the base for a stable or shelter constructed early in the 20th century. 

4th Excavation April 2009.  Two sections across the double oval feature in the north-east of the paddock revealed a cinder track about 10 cms below the surface.  It was concluded that this was a track laid for horses and carriages by J.H. Stokes early in 20th century.

In the north-east section of the paddock two visible ridges from the north and east boundary converged. Test pit dug. There was evidence that the soil had been disturbed in the past and one or two sherds of medieval pottery plus one of Roman colour coat were found. A further pit was dug in the flat area between the ridges and one sherd of Roman greyware and 11 sherds of Medieval pottery (Stamford ware and Lyveden Stanion) found.  Finally the most productive pit from the 1st excavation was reopened and further sherds of Lyveden Stanion ware extracted. 
Results in table form can be found below.
               
Conclusion.   The double curved feature shown prominently on the geo-phys survey is almost certainly a  track for the display of horses and carriages constructed at the beginning of the 20th century.  The blackened rectangle in the centre of the paddock was a base for a shelter of some kind.

Pits dug in the southern part of the paddock show by the quantity of pottery finds that this area had pits or middens. In the third excavation the new pit dug towards the north-east of the paddock contained less pottery which may have resulted from manure spread, indicating cultivation in the past. This is borne out by the colour and texture of the soil.  There is possibly very slight evidence of old ridge and furrow in places.  However this probably dates prior to the known history of the paddock before 1673 when it is described as pasture. The two low ridges mentioned in the third excavation may be plot boundaries. Positioned at the edge of the built up area of the village they may mark the boundaries with the open fields.  On the other hand the soil under the excavated track area (nearby) appeared different and suggested that no cultivation had taken place there. 

It has not been established if there was a dwelling within the paddock.  The amount of buried matter indicates that a medieval dwelling would have been nearby.